Saturday, January 11, 2014

D.I.Y. Flatbed Sewing Machine Table

Did you ever buy a vintage sewing machine that didn't come with a cabinet or a case?  You ran into this wonderful find on Ebay or at a yard sale and just absolutely had to have it!  Well that is exactly what happened to me last fall.  I purchased a really cool vintage Brother Prestige on Ebay.  The previous owner took off all the electrical components other than the light and turned it into a really cool hand crank machine.  The only problem is that it doesn't have a home of its own.  No cabinet or case.  When I'm done using it I always end up putting it on the floor under my table.  So when I had the chance to resolve this little problem I went for it!

A couple of weeks ago I was informed that the Pink Parrot Grill (a restaurant in the building I work in) was doing a total renovation of there dinning room and they were selling all of its contents at a very low cost.  "It was like lightning struck"!  I instantly knew how I was going to resolve my homeless sewing machine dilemma.

I purchased two of the two top dinning tables and started to go to work.

I flipped the first one over and took off the base.

Measured the flatbed of my brother and drew it onto the table top.  I used a 1" drill bit to take out the corners.  That also worked really well because the corners of my brother were curved.

Then I used a jigsaw to cut out the rest.  The table top was so thick that even after cutting it I had to tap it out just to get it to drop out.

I sanded smooth all the edges.

Next I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood the same length of my opening but 1 1/2" wider on each side.

Then I drilled four holes two on each side and inserted a 4" screw with a washer for each one.

I also bolted them down tight from underneath.  Marked my plywood and drilled four more holes and slid the plywood down into the screws.  I then put a washer on each screw and a wing nut so I could adjust the plywood so my sewing machine would sit flush with the table top.

Love when a project comes together!

The second table I cut exactly in half to make the leaf out of.

I picked up all the extra bits and pieces I needed from my local Lowe's.

I dismantled everything I previously did and laid my two top sections on the floor so I could install the hinges.

Let me just say, this was some very hard wood.  It took me forever to put the screws in.

I then installed the bracket and legs  Hmm....for some reason it sorta looks like a cow tipped upside down.

I also installed a length of wood with a wing nut to hold up my leaf.  It is able to be loosened and turned out of the way.

Turned it right side up and put everything back together.  I added a rubber mat to the inside of the well.

A view from underneath with the machine in place.  See what I mean about the wing nuts and how they can adjust the height.

All the screws on top are smooth so the fabric glides right over them.

All done!  Now I just need to do some rearranging.  Hmm...I might have to move my Singer you see in the background to the other side of the room.

I spent the next two and a half hours rearranging my whole sewing room.  One thing just lead to the next.  In all it turned out to be an excellent day.  I made a brand new home for my Brother Prestige and my sewing room received a good cleaning.

I just want to give a special thanks to the Pink Parrot Grille for supplying me with two wonderful tables.  Lowe's Home Improvement for having the four table legs I needed at a great price and last but not least Wallace Hardware for supplying me with all the nuts and bolts I needed to complete this project.  I couldn't have done this project without all of you!

Until next time....Happy Sewing!  Seam Ripper Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment