Tuesday, December 29, 2015

My Brother 1034D Serger Review


It seems like just yesterday that I purchased my Brother 1034D Serger.  In reality it's been a good 6 months.  So I wanted to take the time to review this little guy.


So lets start from the beginning.  Just so everyone understands, up to this point I have never used a serger, read loads about them, but never used one.  So every part of this was brand new to me.  The original hand crank sewing machine guy going to a machine with four threads BIG Step!  Anyhoooowwww.... It comes pre-threaded straight out of the box.  So I read through the manual, gave it a test run on a piece of fabric to make sure everything was operating and then (the leap) cut all the threads straight across the top and ran the tails through the machine to empty it out.  It was important to me from the get go that I made the threading of this machine second nature.  So I pulled out my white serger thread and started on my way.



It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be and they really have a good diagram on the machine itself for you to follow.


I tested it out and straight up right out of the gate it gave me flawless serged stitches.  Since that first day every time I'm done using this machine I always remove all of the thread just so I stay in practice, also it makes it a little easier to keep the inside of the machine brushed out.


Another item about this machine I really like is that for the most part all of your dials are on the left hand of the machine in one general area.  Which makes it a lot easier when you are trying to adjust thread tension and the feed dogs etc.  All though it's important to note that for your everyday average serging I found very little adjustment that I have ever had to make.  With that being said though there are loads of different types of stitches this machine does that I have never tried yet that you would have to make adjustments for.

So my final summary is:  This machine makes it very easy for you to use.  Threading was a lot easier then I thought it would be and only takes a few minutes once you get the hang of it.  You will really love the final serged edge it puts out on any project you are working on.  I have used this machine on at least 7 or 8 different garments.  Each and every time it has run perfectly, never disappointing me on it's performance.  I have read where some have complained about it being a little loud but to be honest my dogs barking and the street traffic outside the picture window drowns out any noise this serger would make easy.  Also for the price you can't beat it. So if you need a serger for casual use that will really transform your knit fabric sewing and give you a excellent serged edge, this may be the machine for you!

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe