Friday, August 15, 2014

Changing gears a bit! "A quilt for Christmas"

I was sitting in front of my pattern box the other day, thinking about exactly what I should sew next.  Should I make the KWIK Sew Jeans Jacket Pattern 1660 or try the KWIK Sew Pattern K3504 for Blue Jeans or maybe give another go to the KWIK Sew Shorts Pattern 3267 which I really like but make them into the pants version.  Hmm...Decisions, Decisions..... Then it hit me all of a sudden.  Am I being a "Selfish Sewist"!  Thinking only of, me..me..me...and out of nowhere it just hit me like a ton of bricks to make a quilt for my daughter for Christmas.

Since I never quilted before I turned to youtube for some examples and guidance of what I might be able to make for her and I ran into a really cool design demonstrated by Jenny Doan of the Missouri Quilt Co.  This is the link for it Disappearing Hourglass Quilt.  As soon as I viewed it I knew that was the one.  I also like the way free motion quilting turns out so I watched a few of Leah Day's videos.  She really is talented.  So with two great examples I started my new venture into the quilting world.


My first completed block!

The following photo's are the steps I took to get to the finished block.


Started with two 10" blocks.  One white fabric and one printed.  Sandwiched them right sides together and sewed 1/4" all the way around.



Made the first cuts from corner to corner in both directions.



Opened them up.  The next step is very important.  Always make sure you iron every seam flat.  It helps in making sure your seams match up when you sew the sections together.



Turn the 4 squares until you come up with the hourglass design and then sew them up with another 1/4" seam.  Now cut this pattern into 9 even blocks.


It should look just like this after it is cut into the nine sections and the blocks are turned to make this design.  Its sorta mind boggling how a few turns of a fabric square can change a design so much.


This is how the finished block should turn out.


Now I only have 41 more blocks to go!  I'm making it for a queen size bed so wish me luck.  I'll try to keep you updated every week to show you how its coming together.

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe