I really meant to start this pattern a couple months ago so I would have them ready for this warm weather we are having on the shore. As it turned out other projects got in the way and I was delayed a bit. I decided to make a muslin first for fitting purposes and also to get used to a few things I haven't tried before. Like sewing belt loops.
After reading the pattern instructions and surveying the pattern itself I decided to make them in a large. Although I have a sneaky suspicion I may need them in an extra large. I may be suffering from a little size denial right now. I blame it on the before bedtime ice cream snack. Darn that Cookies and Cream it gets me every time!
Laid out the entire pattern on a nice white muslin.
Once the entire pattern was cut out I made sure to mark all of my darts and folds. The nice thing about making a muslin first is that it really gets you used to the pattern and all of its ins and outs.
The front pocket and facing sewn together.
Left front pocket completed with top stitching.
This pattern sews up very easily, both front pockets are completed and I am on my way to installing the fly front zipper.
The fly front zipper installs very easily thanks to the well laid out instructions that KWIK Sew gives with the pattern.
Taking apart the basting stitches.
I am all ready to put the zipper shield in you can see where I have already top stitched the front.
Zipper shield is sewn together and ready to install at this point.
Zipper shield installed. I have to say this pattern really goes together nicely. So far I haven't run into any glitches or problems what-so-ever.
The back pockets are welts. I have prepared the facing and pockets themselves by overcasting the edges of the fabric first. I know I didn't have to but I was going zig-zag crazy at the time ; )
The almost finished welt pocket. I just need to sew on the button. I know it's not the proper way per every instruction I have read about sewing welt pockets but I can't help it I just like to sew top stitching around the outside. Although at the grocer the other day there was this guy with pair of store bought shorts with the welt pocket top stitched. So maybe it is all right. I'm trying to start a trend. Can't you tell!
My front panel and my two rear panels all ready to be sewn together.
Sewing the side seam (front and back together).
All stitched together and overcast.
Top stitched side seam.
Inside leg seams sewn together and overcast.
The waistbands ready to be sewn on. You can see where I overcast one side for the inside seam.
Just a few more steps to go after the waistband is sewn on.
Stitching in the ditch to sew in the inside seam.
The completed inside stitch. What's nice about using a hand crank sewing machine is that when you come up to the pins you can sew so slow that the needle will just go around them without harming your machine.
My belt loops. Edge Stitched and all ready to be folded and top stitched.
Belt loops cut into 2.5" lengths.
Sewing the last belt loop in place.
KWIK Sew had a hook and eye for a closure. I decided I just wanted to use a button. Hey, I can't help it I just like buttons.
The completed button and button hole.
The completed shorts back and front. I really like how they turned out. KWIK sew put together very good instructions for this pattern which made them super easy to sew. I would have tried them on and put up a pic but I would have had to suck in the tummy a bit so I decided this time around I'll just show the finished shorts until I can make them in a extra large fit. Sorta skated out of that one, right!
Until next time....Happy Sewing! Seam Ripper Joe