Sunday, June 29, 2014

KWIK Sew 3267 ~ Men's Shorts ~ In Tan Cotton Poplin!


The shorts are finally done and just in time for this 80 degree weather we've been having in Ocean City!


Now that I have the size just right, I really like how they fit around the waist.  The large was just to tight.  Where the extra large fits just right.


I am a big KWIK Sew advocate to say the least!  I just really like how well they write out the instructions to each pattern and how well the patterns are printed.  I know, I know, I'm always boasting about KWIK Sew, I can't help it, you would think I'm on there payroll but nope, just a way big Fan!


The one thing I did change with the pattern just like in my muslin was to have a button as a closure at the waist instead of a clasp.  You know me and buttons!  In fact in the distant future I would like to try a button fly.  Something I haven't made yet.  I remember when I was a teenager back in the stone age I had a pair of button fly jeans.  I always thought they were pretty cool.  But that was the same time frame that I and everyone else ironed their jeans.  Remember those nice sharp creases back in the 80's.


I may need for my next pair to take in the "bottom" just a little bit, smoothing the fabric out a bit more on the rear, but I still like how well they turned out and they are super comfortable to wear.


I'm going to make one more pair of these shorts in the Tan Cotton Poplin, this time with a nice tan colored printed fabric that I have on hand for the pockets and maybe the inside of the waist band.  After that I may try them in a nice color cotton twill using the pants pattern for the fall.



I'm a big advocate of hand crank sewing machines.  In the making of these shorts I used my Brother Prestige for straight stitch and my Brother Charger for anything to do with zig-zag stitches or bar-tacs.  It's not just about the simplicity of it all, it also brings you closer to the stitching of your fabric.  You can automatically tell if an extra layer of fabric got tucked under your stitching by accident just by the tension on your hand crank, where with a foot pedal you just keep sewing until your done and then ooops you have to take the whole seam out instead of just stopping in the exact place of the mistake and correcting it right then and there.  Also, I'm not having to chase around a rogue foot pedal on the floor.  I know they're not for everyone, but I sure do like sewing with mine.


I highly recommend this pattern to anyone who needs a good basic shorts pattern.  They are super comfortable to wear and a real joy to sew up.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe