Saturday, May 10, 2014

KWIK Sew 3484 - "Complete Pictorial Series" Part 1 of 3

Today I'll be starting KWIK Sew 3484.  This will be a three part series which will cover absolutely every aspect of the garments construction.  From reading the pattern all the way through to the final button being sewn on.  


This particular pattern of shirt is a little different from all the other shirts I have sewn because it doesn't have a yoke.  The front and back are just joined at the shoulder.  So it should be interesting to see how the fit comes out.  I've read reviews saying they love the shirt and others that can't even bring themselves to sew a shirt without a yoke.  So  you know me with such a divide in the sewing community I had to give it a try.  The style I'll be sewing is view (A).



I think it's really important to read over the sewing directions and take a really good look at the pattern before I start any new garment.  It's important to me never to feel rushed through a project and to enjoy each step of it.


Make sure before you use your pattern to iron it.  A couple of extra creases sticking up can take away 1/4" of fabric easy.


I never cut into my patterns you never know when you'll have to use a larger or smaller size.  So to keep my pattern complete I always use Swedish Tracing Paper and trace the pattern.


As I trace the pattern I make sure I add every little detail to the copied pattern so once I fold up the original and put it back into it's envelope there is absolutely no need to pull it out again.


The completed copy of the pattern all cut out.  This is now a super durable pattern you can use over and over again.  You can even sew Swedish Tracing paper together to see the fit and then seam rip it apart again before cutting out the fabric.


The next step is to cut out the pieces of interfacing you need.  A good all purpose interfacing I like to use is Coni Crawfords - All purpose interfacing..  It's always worked very well for me and the price is just right.


There are two front facings that are required to have interfacing, so I folded the interfacing over to make two identical pieces before pining the pattern piece down and cutting it out.


Next I needed to cut out one upper collar piece of interfacing.


All three pieces of interfacing cut out and ready.


On the left I have the interfacing and the right are the pattern pieces all ready to go.

My next post will be covering aspects of laying out the pattern on the fabric and cutting it out along with marking all the important parts with needle and thread for future reference.

I've always enjoyed every part of sewing a garment, it's all part of the journey.

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe