Saturday, November 16, 2013

At last....The finished KWIK Sew 1281 Turtleneck

Hi everyone!  I've really missed my fellow sewist.  This last month I've had to take some time off to take care of my wonderful wife.  She suffers from Lymphedema in her legs and around the beginning of last month Stephanie started treatment.  So we travel back and forth to the therapist on a daily basis.  She's really responding well to the treatment and life will be getting back to our version of normal by the beginning of December.  In the meantime I was able to sneak my KWIK Sew 1281 Turtleneck through our long days and finished it up.


In the fall and winter I love to wear a nice, warm turtleneck.  It's a really good all around cold weather top.  So you can imagine how thrilled I was to find a KWIK Sew Turtleneck pattern from 1983 uncut with the instructions included.  Have to love ETSY for finding vintage sewing patterns.  I was immediately off to Joann Fabrics & picked up 2 yards of navy blue Ponte Roma knit fabric.  (Of course with 40% off coupon in hand)  That's a given ;)


Surveying my pattern before tracing it.



This was a very easy pattern to lay out and cut.  The instructions for sewing it together were simple and well written.  I am definitely going to have to make a couple more of these.  Maybe one in hunter green and another in black.


I made a couple of small changes to the pattern.  On the inside seams for the shoulders they wanted to just use one strip of fabric to bind off the inside raw edge.  I choose to use two strips of bias tape and top stitched them both down from the right side of the fabric.  I also top stitched around the arms.  Just a personal preference I feel like it makes the shirt a little sturdier and I also like the way it looks.


The Finished Shirt.  "Love it"!


The fit turned out exactly how I wanted it.  I made the shirt in a XL because I like my shirts just a little bit looser fitting.


My topstitching on the shoulders and around the arms.


I absolutely love the way this shirt fits and feels.  I highly recommend this pattern for any turtleneck enthusiast.  I am definitely going to make a couple more of these for this winter.

That is it, the end of my post for today.  We just have one thing left....the big "Shout out".

Today that is going to.... Thread Theory it's a awesome sewing blog for men's clothing and they also sell their own patterns, Very Cool.  I highly recommend them to anyone sewing men's clothing.  I know it's taught me a lot.  So you just have to check them out.

Until next time....Happy Sewing!  Seam Ripper Joe