Saturday, September 21, 2013

"Special Delivery" my new to me "Prestige by Brother"


So here I am having another "New to Me" sewing machine delivered.  It was really absolutely out of my control.  "I couldn't help it".  Once I saw this unusual creation of vintage ingenuity I just had to have it.




This is my "New to Me", Prestige by Brother Sewing Machine.  The previous owner turned it into a Hand Crank Sewing Machine.  They also sent me the original hand wheel in the event that I wanted to convert it back to using a electric motor.  "Are you kidding me", this machine is the best of all worlds.  The dimensions on the base are exactly the same as a vintage singer, in fact the working components are the same as a Singer 15 which is the same basic instructional DVD he sent me, with my new Brother.  It also fits perfectly into any singer cabinet.  Including the one I will be on the hunt for.  An Old Singer Treadle Cabinet!  She fits all my Vintage Singer Attachments and is your basic straight stitch machine that puts out a flawless, smooth stitch.  You have total control of every aspect of your stitching and you can stop it on a dime!  They left the original lamp which lights up my work beautifully!  "Perfect"!


It does weigh a bit.  It tips the scale at  a whopping 27.8 lbs.  The interesting aspect about this machine is that I have not been able to find another like it on the Internet.  No images, searches or even the Brother Website using the serial number has any information on this particular model.  With that being said.  I don't even care.  "I love the retro look of it and it is so fun to sew with".


The control panel has the normal stitch setting which ranges from 8 to 30 stitches per inch.  You can also set your feed dogs to several different heights which is the first time I've seen this particular function.  Usually feed dogs are either set up or down.  This brother has three settings.  Normal - Silk - Darn.  That is really Cool!  Also you have an easy to use back tack.  Just push in the red button and turn right.  It locks you into sewing in reverse or back tack.  Just press the red button once more and the machine easily stitches forward again.



Yep,  this is my "Frankenstein Machine".  It's a machine that shouldn't exist but does.  It's a machine that works beautifully but has no information anywhere on the model.  All very interesting.



It is unbelievable for its age how very clean this machine is.  It almost looks like its straight out of the factory.




I know, I know, I know....There is my boxer shorts fabric again.  This is my fifth pair out of that sheet set.  I actually think I  will be able to make 8 sets all together.  I just have to keep a steady pace and I will get them all done.  It's really a practice in patience working on the same project over and over until you finally have them all made.


I love that I can use all my singer attachments.  Just finished putting in a buttonhole.  Perfect!


I ended up finishing this pair of boxer shorts with my new brother.  It was such a joy to use.  Everything about this simple machine runs perfectly and smoothly.  In the future if you ever have the chance to use a good hand crank sewing machine, I would highly recommend it.  You'll find it is such a unique experience and thoroughly enjoyable.

That is it, the end of my post for today.  We just have a couple of things left....first, the big "Shout Out".

Today that is going to....Thin Man Sewing blogging out of Sutter Creek, California.  He has a natural style of sewing which makes all his sewing endeavors turn out with a great fit.  He is a very enjoyable read and highly recommended for any sewing blog list.

and also....

This week the "Two Thumbs Up" goes to the good folks at Joann Fabrics for keeping my e-mail box stocked up on weekly specials along with their 40% and 50% off coupons.  Keep up the good work!

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe