Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Making its debut today, Stephanies new vest - The Connie Crawford B5473

Here we are, another Tuesday and as I sit back in my chair typing, I'm recalling actually how much fun this vest was to make.  Remembering how determined the sales clerk was at Joann Fabrics that the pattern called for Linen or Cotton Blends.....and I purchased the Black Ponte Roma Knit.  She was very nice, but finally gave up once I told her, your probably right, but this is really the perfect fabric for this outfit.

 
Stephanie specially purchased a button down shirt for the vest.  I made the sleeves 3/4 length for her.


I didn't double up the fabric.  I made the extra pattern pieces, and cut each piece individually.  This was a thicker knit and I wanted to make sure each piece came out just right.


 Front facings.......Labels, Labels, everywhere!


The facings required a layer of interfacing, which was a new experience for me, I have never used it before.  It all fit together very nice though and ironed right up, with very few hiccup's.


I love how the clover wonder clips holds the 1/4" fold for the facing, no ouchies on these fingies.....Sewing should be fun and practical.


The facing went on all the way around the neck with no problems, all notches matched up perfectly.  Big sigh of relief.


Zipped through both side seams and pocket sections, the instructions for the pockets were really spelled out well, and very easy to follow.


Now this is were it became interesting.  I did not use a sewing machine to attach the frogs, I did it by hand.  Did you actually know that you can pin frogs in place measuring them to match on both sides and when you are done sewing, one can still be 1/4" lower than the joining side.  I had to take this particular frog off twice before it behaved and stayed in place.

 

In the end, even with the frog situation the vest was a bunch of fun to make and it was exactly what Stephanie wanted for work.  Can you say, win, win.



That is it, the end of my post for today.  We just have a couple of things left....first, the big "Shout Out".

Today that is going to....Jennifer of Historical Sewing.com  If you would like a blast from the way past, she mainly sews 19th century costuming.  Get lost "Somewhere in Time" just click on her site, she is truly a artist with a needle and thread.  Before long she'll have you wanting to sew some of your own 19th century clothing.

and also....

This week the "Two Thumbs Up" goes to Birch Street Clothing out in Penngrove, Ca.  This is where I order all of my Swedish Tracing Paper from.  They also carry an interesting selection of Patterns, Notions and books.  They have an excellent staff and their shipping is always on time.  Soooooo....check em out.

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe