Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Fun with Patch Pockets

I was upcycling a black blouse into a tunic for Stephanie the other day, and I was just having the most fun with the patch pocket.  I love how you can virtually make them into any style you would like, your own creative ability is your guide.



I made a simple pattern.


Used some excess fabric from the blouse.


Straight stitched some pretty white lace around the outside and pinned four pleats to top.


Tacked down the pleats.


Made bias tape from the same fabric as the skirt.


Bias tape is always fun to work with.


Pinned pocket to skirt.


Sewed the pocket down with a zigzag, with stitch length set on 1.  I really like how it gives a nice tight stitch.  Specially on patch pockets where you need the extra holding power.


For the final touch I added a silk flower in the corner of the pocket.
Stephanie loved the pocket and the tunic turned out really nice.

That is it, the end of my post for today.  We just have a couple of things left....first, the big "Shout Out".

Today that is going to....Jen of GrainlineShe hails out of the Windy City of Chicago, Ill. and is a patternmaker and designer.  Her work is always spot on and her blog is a joy to read.  So you really, really, really, should check her blog, I learn something new every time I go there.

and also....

This week the "Two Thumbs Up" goes to Superior Threads out of St. George, Utah.  Bob and Heather Purcell are the owners and have a fabulous store.  I purchase most of my thread through them along with other items.  So you just have to check them out.

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe