Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What can you get from "Old Jeans" try a "New Hat"

From time to time, when you are just, casually surfing the internet.  Do you ever run into that, little sewing project, you just have to try.  You know the type I'm talking about.  It should only take you a couple of hours, and you have everything you need for it anyway.  That's what happened to me.

I was on You Tube, watching some sewing tutorials, on the Whitney Sews Channel and she had one on a "Newsboy Hat".  After watching the tutorial on how it was made, she had a link to be able to download the pattern.  It was Pretty Cool, I just have to say.

So my "Bride" gave up a pair of her old jeans in exchange for a "New Hat" and the quest began.


I wish I would have taken a couple of extra pictures.  This jumped a couple of steps, but I'll try to explain.  I downloaded the pattern and transferred it onto "Reynolds Freezer Wrap".  On smaller sewing projects, copy your pattern with "Reynolds Freezer Wrap" and cut it out and just place it on your fabric and iron it with a warm iron with steam off.  Can I just tell you, it is so cool, no need for pinning or anything.  You just cut the fabric along your pattern and once you are done, you peel the paper rite off.  Awesome!  In this photo I am cutting pattern pieces of the inside of the hat.


I cut 6 blue jean pieces for the outside of the hat and 6 pieces of a tan cotton print for the inside, along with my brim pieces and the interfacing for the brim.


It sews up really nice, and Whitney's Sewing Tutorial really explains it so it is very easy to understand and make.  Thank You Whitney!



Sometimes you never know what new sewing project your going to embark on.  On that spring night, it was a new hat for my bride.

This is it.  The end of my post today.  We just have one thing left....the big "Shout Out".

Today that is going to Whitney at Whitney Sews.  She is always getting into some kind of "Creative Mischief" and you never know what she is going to come out with next.  She's a bunch of fun.  So you have to check her out.

That's it for today.  Leave a comment and tell me what you think.

Until next time..... Happy Sewing!  Seam Ripper Joe