Monday, June 10, 2013

My "Found Em's", "Wanted Em's" & "Bought Em's" or just plain "These are great extras to have"

I was going to go into the Connie Crawford - B5473, vest and pants set I made for Stephanie (my bride) this post, but instead I think I want to talk about some of the extra sewing helpers and tidbits I picked up along my sewing journey that has enhanced my experience and that has brought me thus far.


I have several other sewing books and they are very good, but you just have to love the "Reader's Digest - Complete Guide to Sewing", this copy is the sixth printing, 1979 edition and it's just packed full of good solid information.  What made it even better was that I found it at a thrift store and picked it up for only $2.00.


Clover Wonder Clips - I found these on amazon.com and I just had to have them.  I still pin my pattern down before I cut it out, but for piecing your garment together these are awesome. 


When I first started out my Janome came with this "itsy bitsy" seam ripper, and I use my seam ripper allot....so I bought a large one, the extra size makes taking seams apart so much easier.


These are definitely a must have, at least to me.  My Taylor's Ham and two Seam Rolls.  I've used them on every garment I've put together so far.  The funny thing is that I found them at goodwill and the ladies there had no idea what they were.


My Reynolds Freezer Wrap.  I know I have mentioned using this before and if you haven't tried it, you really just have to, especially for smaller pieces like pockets.  Just draw your pattern right onto the freezer paper and cut it out.  It's pretty transparent so you can line it up on your fabric really well.  Then just gently (with no steam) press it onto the fabric.  The wax makes it stick to the fabric without harming it in any way.  Cut your fabric around the pattern and then just peal it off.  You can use the same piece several times.


Everyone has to love Swedish Tracing Paper and if you don't, you've just never used it before.  This makes cutting into any pattern you've purchased absolutely obsolete.  Just lay this over your original pattern and trace it right onto the Swedish Tracing Paper and cut it out like its your original pattern.  Once you've cut it out, you can also sew it together (it is very durable) and try it on.  This paper is just to cool.  After that, just seam rip your stiches out and pin it to your fabric and your good to go.  It's worth every penny you spend on it.


My Cutting Mat, Rotary Cutter & Ruler make cutting smaller pieces of fabric so much easier.  I have though in the past cut much larger pieces out with it.  Like whole pants legs.  It's called, cut and slide.  Oops, I probably shouldn't have mentioned that.  I cant be the only one who does it though.


Finally, last but not least, are my Pinking Shears which every pair of Stephanie's pajama bottoms are glad I own.  I use them all the time and they come in very handy on knit fabric.

That is it for today.  The end of my post.....we just have one thing left....that's the big "Shout Out"

Today that goes to......OONABALLOONA from KALKATROONA she's at http://www.oonaballoona.com/ - Her blog will take you on a wild and crazy ride in her sewing adventures.  Each post takes you to a bright and vivid, color and fabric variation rollercoaster, that are visual delights.  She is a very talented sewist and a must have on any blog list.

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe