Tuesday, June 25, 2013

It's such a nice pink knit fabric......for an "Old Sheet"... hmmm...

Yep....you guessed it.  I couldn't pass the opportunity up.  It was just right after I finished sewing Stephanie's black pant's out of the Connie Crawford Pattern, B5473.  We had a older set of pink knit sheets and she asked if I could make a pair of pajama bottoms out of them for her.  I hadn't even put the pattern away yet, so it was like, perfect timing.

 
These are Stephanie's, Strawberry and Pink Knit Pajama bottoms. The fabric was perfect to make them with and I just had to alter the pattern a smidge.  I went with the 1/2" elastic in the waist.



To start with, I took out all of the elastic around the edge of the sheet.  It was in perfect condition and there was lot's of it.  On the flip side, it took about, 45 minutes to take out.  It gave me more than enough for her pajama bottoms, plus a good bit extra.  You never know on that rainy day when you may need it for a specific pattern and you just don't want to go out in the weather.



I ended up cutting the sheet in individual sections for each pattern piece since I knew they were going to fit fine.  It made it easier to handle the fabric.



It seems, it's becoming my signature trade mark to have everything labeled once I cut it out.



Used my Pinking Shears on all my seams, I think it really makes the edges turn out nice on knits.  I used a normal zigzag stitch on all the leg seams, but I set the stitch length to 1.  To me, it just seems to be a better stich for knits and I don't run into any extra wrinkling of the fabric.



The very last touch I added was a little strawberry applique.  I figured hey, she can be just like that cartoon, long ago, that used to be on Saturday mornings.  I think it was "Strawberry Shortcake".  She had strawberries on all her clothes.



So that is how I turned a old set of pink sheets into one of Stephanie's favorite pajama bottoms.  I guess you could say, she loves them so much she's, tickled pink.  Ouch...did I really just say that.

That is it, the end of my post for today.  We just have one thing left.....that is the big "Shout Out".

Today that is going to....Taylor of Taylor Tailor I just cannot say enough about this young man.  He truly is a inspiration.  His mission is to sew all of his own clothing, and his specialty is in denim.  He also has his own store attached to his blog for everything you may need for making your own jeans.  Pretty cool.  So you just have to check it out.

Oops....One more thing.  At the end of each post I'm also going to give a "Two Thumbs Up" for sewing related links that I have used to order product from that I think are "Outstanding" and which I will be adding to my link list.  Last week that was Fashion Patterns by Coni.

Today the "Two Thumbs Up" goes to Dana Marie of Dana Marie Design Co. Her patterns are very innovative and most range from small all the way up to 5X.  Thank you Dana!

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe