Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Singer ~ 1917 ~ Model 127 Treadle

Great news, finally after searching for years for a treadle, I ran into the perfect one for me at a local estate sale.

And this is it!
















This is it after I spent a day just cleaning it up a little and putting on the belt.


It's amazing what just a little oiling and a little polish can do.  I threaded it up and the stitches came out perfect the first run.  I was really fortunate to run into a machine with all the bits and pieces and even the manual.  "All original" this machine was really taken care of well.

Just so you know, you still can find good deals on treadle's.  I was able to pick this one up for $70.00.  I was thrilled when I looked at the tag.

I see a new quilt being made in the near future.

Until next time...Happy Sewing!  Seam Ripper Joe

Monday, May 30, 2016

Upcycled Clothing! Another New Adventure in Sewing....

So the last couple of months I've been trying something new.  I've always been a pattern person.  Patterns are fun to follow, well explained and you always for the most part know how your item is going to turn out.

Well after my last post Stephanie brought the question up to me "Why don't I start upcycling clothing."  You know take a whole bunch of different clothes and make them into something new, something bold a piece that's all your very own design.  You did hear me say how much I really..REALLY like using patterns.  Ahhh.....upcycling....no patterns....all drawn out on paper and in you mind.  Hmm....no patterns...UGGGGHH.....

Here we go....All womens designs from medium to 3X....


















That's my first six....I do have to admit they are pretty fun to put together.  Using 3, 4 or 5 different garments transforming them into one.

Although it may be just a new ploy for me to sew more new clothes for Stephanie.  Hmm....

I just wanted to touch base with everyone and say Hi...I hope everybody had a nice Memorial Day weekend.

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Third KWIK Sew 2258 "Short Sleeve"

Since Spring is already here and the weather will start warming soon I really need to start making some short sleeve shirts.  What better pattern to use than "once again" my KWIK Sew 2258.  This is such an awesome pattern.




This is the lineup of fabric I have to choose from for this particular shirt.  You'll notice the 1st and 3rd fabrics I made the long sleeve version out of.  Couldn't help myself, I liked the fabric so much that I went back to JoAnn Fabrics and purchased more of it.  Big big fan of seersucker fabric!


I ended up going with the multi colored blue and grey linen though.  It's really soft and comfortable feeling.

So lets get to ironing our fabric!


I always wash all my new fabrics on laundry day so there good to go when I get ready to use them.  (If I didn't I would never remember which ones needed to be washed and which ones didn't)


I don't know if anyone has ever noticed before but for the most part I lay each one of my pattern pieces out individually and then cut and make any makings I need to on the fabric before I go to the next piece.


After which I then fold each piece along with any interfacing that goes with it and lay them in a separate finish stack next to the pattern pieces used.  It's just me, can't help it, when I sew I really like to keep everything organized.

So now I think I'll just cut the  pieces out for a minute ; )






Now it's time to start sewing all the pieces together.


On just about every button down shirt I have sewn I always sew on the pocket first before I join any of the other pieces together.  I highly recommend the "Wash Away Wonder Tape" to place your pocket instead of pins.  It's a awesome double sided tape that's simple to use and really inexpensive.  Plus it washes completely out on the first washing.  It also helps the top stitching come out nice and even without a hitch.

Now for sewing the yokes together along with the collar.




The burrito really came out easy on this particular shirt when I was done sewing the yokes together.  Sometimes you have to play with it for a minute to pull everything out.  This time it came out with only a few shakes.  Yea!


Now to attach the shirt collar and add the top stitching.


The collar for me is always fun to do, I wish I would have taken more photos of the process.  I have a tendency to get so absorbed in my sewing I forget the photo end.  I do have to admit though in part why I enjoy collars so much now is because of the excellent tutorial put out in 2013 by Andrea over at Four Square Walls.  She made sewing up a collar so...so...so...much easier and loads more accurate.  If you haven't had the chance to look at her tutorial you just have to check it out.


Love when a collar comes all together.

Now for the sleeves!


Hmm....As you can see I've attached the sleeve and am now pinning the sides together.  Seems to have been another photo black out.  On the flip side it means we almost have the whole shirt sewn together.  : )


Now I just need to hem the sleeves and bottom.


Instead of folding the sleeves over twice I just zig-zaged the ends and folded them over once before top stitching them.  Sometimes it's nice just to keep it simple!


I did however double fold my hem on the bottom of the shirt before top stitching.

Almost there, just have to do the button holes and buttons!






I finished up late night so first thing in the morning as long as it's bright out we'll see about a photo shoot!






Little Loki wanted to join in!  So another shirt done that's super comfortable and ready for spring and all the warm weather that comes with it.

I hope everyone is having a great week!

Until next time....Happy Sewing!    Seam Ripper Joe